Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
CosmoVibe
The Notechart Guru
Music Artist
Chart Judge
Chart Artist

Administrator
Default Difficulty Algorithm [Alpha]

We have implemented the first part of the new difficulty algorithm to the game.

What this means: All of the chart difficulties were automatically converted to a number based on the rate of the amount of notes passing the receptors at a given time in the chart.

Problems: This does not factor in patterns that make the chart harder, such as jacks, brackets, 6-chords, or rhythms.

Hopefully with our new staff in this particular area of focus, we can tweak them using a new system in our database. If you believe a chart is out of place, feel free to comment on it from our forums under "KBO Levels Discussion."

More updates to come in the near future, as we near beta release!

Last edited by CosmoVibe; 06-14-2011 at 11:08 PM.
CosmoVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
zolaric
Forum Master

Nice !!
zolaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
bmah
Forum Pro

Great step. More refining will get the engine closer to final release.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
lolpwnlol
Forum Amateur

Quite good. Only that there are quite a few charts underrated/overrated

My youtube account
lolpwnlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
aoeu
Forum Newbie

I just finished playing through all the songs up until about 39 in difficulty.

I noticed a few songs like Versatile and Boogie Woogie were harder than they should be, and because of jacks Story of the Constellations was a bit easier than it should be. Also, Afterimage has a glitched hold at the beginning and several songs still have that strange skip/glitch at the beginning where the notes lurch forward.

Otherwise, everything looks pretty good.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
CosmoVibe
The Notechart Guru
Music Artist
Chart Judge
Chart Artist

Administrator

It's actually quite astounding how accurate the base algorithm is already.

Once the next step is implemented though, it will make the algorithm even more accurate.

And I laugh in the faces of the people who think I can't do it.
yeah i make nice code
i made this game called keybeat
ever played it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruka Schild
people dont usually like mexicans, but the truth is that once a cute mexican character is created, they cannot resist the urge to love the mexican
Old 06-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Whitefang
Forum Rookie

Well, I was corralled into posting here by Arch0wl, so here it is!

I recently started playing this game after being linked to a thread by him, and I have to say, it's pretty fun. Throughout this post, keep in mind that I did play Guitar Hero on Expert with almost no problems, Through The Fire And Flames being the only song I didn't beat with ease.

So, on to my feedback!

The difficulty system seems a little off right now. I can easily play up to level 25, but Protosphere, at just over double that, is insanely hard. The difficulty needs to be skewed a bit, I think. Brightone at rank 11 is stupidly easy and rather boring for me, but a song like Chaoz Airflow presents a challenging, but not impossible, playthrough.

Beyond that, I think it's fine. It needs to take more things into account (such as a long string/fast string of doubles or triples - they make the song MUCH harder than if it were the same in singles), but it's in alpha, so I understand this will be changed.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that you don't get penalized for pressing a note that isn't there. That's one thing I liked about Guitar Hero - you had to be accurate, you couldn't just mash buttons and strum really fast to pass Through The Fire And Flames. If I ever beat Protosphere, I want it to mean something. As I demonstrated the first day I played, you can pass Protosphere by just mashing buttons:

Code:
Username 	F 	E 	G 	D 	P 	M 	Holds 	Combo 	  Score 
Whitefang 	777 	707 	1,224 	647 	555 	129 	95/113 	33 	122,610
Another thing that confused me a bit was the changing difficulties for Brightone - 11, 22, and 29? I figured it out after a few seconds, but you might want to add something to the name to make it clearer .
Whitefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
zolaric
Forum Master

One of the things about stepmania/kbo/ffr that differ from other rhythm games (such as gh, bms/iidx, osu) is that passing a file is not really challenging (although this depends in stepmania...). The goal is to get a good score on it. I don't know if kbo intends to be a game that makes passing difficult, but if it doesn't, merely passing a file means pretty much nothing (unlike those other rhythm games I mentioned).
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Whitefang
Forum Rookie

I mashed the keys and still beat many of the others that played. Maybe they mashed them, too, but who's to know?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
zolaric
Forum Master

They could also have quit out. But I will admit it's a good idea to make failing more strict so that people don't waste time playing files that are way beyond their skill level.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
Meseki
Forum Rookie

I don't think anybody outside the top 10-15 on Protosphere didn't mash through the majority of the song, as I did and I'm 25th.
Meseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
zolaric
Forum Master

Can't be more than 10 that didn't mash through that beast of a song
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
CosmoVibe
The Notechart Guru
Music Artist
Chart Judge
Chart Artist

Administrator

This is because what was implemented here was only the difficulty system.

The difficulty system concept (ace/pass range is 5) applies to our life judge and scoring system for beta, which hasn't been released yet.

At the moment, even extremely high ranked charts are extremely easy to pass by mashing, and scoring is quite off in terms of balance.

However, these issues will be addressed by beta. The life judge will be balanced so that easier charts will be SLIGHTLY easier to pass, but more difficult charts will be MUCH harder to pass. Scoring system will also be balanced such that percentage of total score will affects rank, which is proportional to the performance level of that chart at any given difficulty.

Thanks for the input and concern. I assure you these issues have already been resolved for the most part, they're just sitting in the back of the site, hidden away from the public for now.
yeah i make nice code
ever played it?
Quote:
people dont usually like mexicans, but the truth is that once a cute mexican character is created, they cannot resist the urge to love the mexican
Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
Whitefang
Forum Rookie

Of course. I actually like the game (which is more than could be said for most games played through a webpage), so I'm happy to post anything that I notice .

Quote:
Scoring system will also be balanced such that percentage of total score will affects rank, which is proportional to the performance level of that chart at any given difficulty.
Just wondering what you meant by that, if you don't mind explaining?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
CosmoVibe
The Notechart Guru
Music Artist
Chart Judge
Chart Artist

Administrator

Basically, it means that the rank you get reflects how well you did on that song.

For example, the current system is imbalanced because you could do really well on an easy chart and still only get a B. Likewise, you can do really poor on a harder chart and get this same B rank. I believe that the rank you get should reflect your performance on a particular chart, and so the system is balanced on that concept.

Rank is calculated by the percentage of the maximum possible score you can get, so I made functions to weigh the amount of score you get for each timing judge in order to reflect everything mentioned above.
yeah i make nice code
ever played it?
Quote:
Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #16
Whitefang
Forum Rookie

Oh, alright. That makes much more sense. I didn't understand what you meant the first time ^.^. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #17
Whitefang
Forum Rookie

I asked a few friends to play this game and comment on it.

My troll friend immediately wanted better songs. Probably should just disregard this.

My friend who actually puts thought into this stuff said he'd like the middle of the screen to be split. Apparently the white line down the middle isn't enough, and I can somewhat see where he's coming from. It was annoying to get used to the first few songs I played.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #18
CosmoVibe
The Notechart Guru
Music Artist
Chart Judge
Chart Artist

Administrator

Unfortunately there's not much we can do about the song issue other than getting more permissions, but we all know how difficult this is.

The second point is viable, I'll talk to blast about that sometime.
yeah i make nice code
ever played it?
Quote: